By Lewis Pacelli
Here at DownThe18th we have decided to run a new feature as part of our blog. It will simply be called “Tale Of Woes” and will consist of the trials and tribulations of our previous weeks selections. And a brief summary of what happened at each tournament. It is only fitting that this feature will be sponsored by the king of woe Mr. Colin Stuart Montgomerie OBE.
Last week on both the European and PGA Tour brought about one of the craziest four days of ups and downs we are ever likely to experience at DownThe18th. We have had some tough defeats in our history of betting across many different sports, however it was horrendous to watch the fall from grace of a certain Brazilian. The European Tour was in The Eastern Cape for the Africa Open and Adilson Da Silva led the field at –14, 3 clear, going into the weekend. An injury to his back and wrist resulted in a +4 weekend and a disappearance from the leaderboard. Darren Fichardt ended up taking the crown after a consistent performance over the week and it was a deserved victory.
As for the PGA Tour, we witnessed several of our selections have promising starts before, again, dropping off the pace at a considerable rate. The end to the final day was an exciting watch however, with John Merrick holding his nerve against Charlie Beljan to win the Northern Trust Open and record his first victory on Tour.
We learnt a lot in our debut season of publishing our selections over this past week and some of those points are:
- Don’t get too excited when someone has a healthy lead going into the weekend. Things change. Very quickly.
- Whatever the stats say, really do everything in your power NOT to back Lee Westwood. It hurts every time he reaches for his putter…
- Don’t give up on anyone; Tjaart Van Der Walt did sneak a place after all…
- Try not to throw your remote control at the wall when your player records a double bogey straight after a birdie. It does not do the wall or yourself any good.
- Golf is a sport that we all love watching, so root for your bets, but root for everyone as it will help with your blood pressure and decrease the amount of empty beer bottles
- Once again, do not back Westwood.